How to Prove Financial Hardship to the IRS When You Can't Pay Your Taxes

Tax season often brings concerns about meeting your tax obligations. If you find yourself unable to pay your tax bill, there are steps you can take to address the situation. Whether it's due to financial difficulties or unexpected circumstances, proving financial hardship to the IRS is possible. Here's a comprehensive guide on how to navigate this challenging situation and find potential solutions.

The Importance of Filing Your Tax Return

When facing financial hardship, filing your tax return is a crucial initial step. Failing to do so can lead to additional penalties and interest on the unpaid taxes, exacerbating your financial stress. Even if you can't pay the full amount, filing on time is essential. Consider filing for an extension if necessary, but remember that an extension grants extra time for filing, not for paying.

By submitting your tax return, you provide the IRS with accurate information to determine your owed amount. This prevents the IRS from making substitute returns based on incomplete data, which could overstate your tax liability.

Exploring Payment Plans and Alternatives

After filing your tax return, assess your financial situation to determine the best course of action:

  1. Calculate the owed amount.
  2. Evaluate how much you can pay immediately.
  3. Estimate the time needed to settle the entire bill.
  4. Research available options.

The IRS offers payment plans that allow you to pay your taxes over time. While setup fees may apply, they can be waived or reduced for low-income individuals or those facing hardships. Alternatively, paying with a credit card is an option, though IRS interest rates are generally lower than credit card interest.

Consider an offer in compromise (OIC) if you believe you cannot pay the full tax amount. This option allows you to settle your back taxes if you can't realistically meet your tax obligation or if you were incorrectly taxed initially.

Understanding "Uncollectible" Status and Filing for Hardship

For those facing long-term financial challenges like poverty or disability, there are two ways to declare your taxes uncollectible: "Status 53" and filing for hardship.

"Status 53" involves contacting an IRS representative to temporarily make your account uncollectible for 30 days. This option is suitable for situations such as medical inability to work or domestic violence cases, where collection efforts are temporarily halted.

Filing for financial hardship is a formal process requiring documentation. To qualify, you must demonstrate that you can't cover your basic living expenses. If you owe over $10,000, you'll need to provide details about your assets, debts, income, and living expenses. Medical documentation is crucial if you're sick or disabled. Long-term unemployment or underemployment can also work in your favor.

"Reasonable living expenses" include essentials like rent, utilities, food, transportation, and medical costs. Luxuries like entertainment or club memberships are excluded. You'll need three months' worth of bills and proof of expenses, emphasizing the importance of accurate record-keeping.

Filing for hardship is intricate but achievable with meticulous record-keeping and adherence to guidelines. For personalized guidance on your situation, don't hesitate to reach out to our office.


Navigating financial hardship and the inability to pay taxes can be overwhelming. However, understanding the available options and following the correct procedures can help you address your tax challenges effectively. By filing your tax return, exploring payment plans, and considering hardship options, you can work towards a resolution that eases your financial burden. Remember, seeking professional advice is crucial to make informed decisions tailored to your circumstances.

Book Your Free Consultation

Let’s meet up and begin building your business or resolving your tax issues by booking your free consultation below

Book Your FREE Consultation